While in prison for drug trafficking in Barcelona, Hernando Toro began his career as a photographer. For more than a decade, from a cell he turned into a professional studio, he took thousands of portraits of those who, like him, lived behind bars. Despite the richness of his work, much of Toro’s archive was forgotten once he was released. This documentary recovers his negatives and explores not only his journey, but also part of the unpublished archive. What began as a question about the past has become an observation of the last years of this magnificent artist’s life.
Funds and markets
- IDARTES 2018. Production fund for short documentary.
- Mia Market 2018. Pitching forum.
- Fund Desarrollo Cinematográfico de Colombia (FDC) 2020. Documentary postproduction.
- IDARTES 2020. Music creation fund for feature.
- Honor Mention, Festival Internacional de Cine de Villa de Leyva 2020. Work in Progress.
- Kine award, Festival Internacional de Documentales de Santiago 2020. First Cut.
- Buena Suerte award, Festival Internacional de Documentales de Santiago 2020. First Cut.
- Selection in Festival Internacional de Cine de Cartagena 2020. Work in Progress.
- DocMontevideo 2020 market.
- Florianópolis Audiovisual Mercosul 2020 market.
- IV Salón Documental de Medellín 2020 market.
Follow Toro in social media:
DIRECTION AND SCRIPT
Adriana Bernal, Ginna Ortega
Rosa M. Ramos
Jorge Caballero, Anna Giralt Gris
Ginna Ortega, David Rojas
3 January, 2019